300+ Pharma Cool Chain Related Executives answered the questions in this survey (September 2012):
Q: Which of these best represents the products that you are principally moving through your supply chain ?
- Branded Pharmaceuticals 29%
- Biopharmaceutical's 23%
- Healthcare Distribution (on behalf of one of the above) 16%
- Clinical Supplies and IMP’s 11%
- Other 11%
- Generics and OTC products 3%
Q: What are the top 3 priorities in your temperature assured distribution supply chain ?
- Reduce or prevent product deviations and excursions 69%
- Cost reduction within the supply chain 29%
- Ensuring compliance with GDP regulations 29%
- Reduce product theft within the distribution chain 7%
- Something else 7%
- Sustainability/Environmental impact within the supply chain 5%
- Move toward the outsourcing model within the supply chain 3%
Q: What is the main driver within your business to ensure you have an effective cold chain ?
- Patient safety 59%
- Regulatory compliance 18%
- Product efficacy 11%
- Cost of product spoilage 7%
- Brand equity 4%
Q: Which of the emerging BRIC economies presents the greatest opportunity for your business in the next 5 year ?
- China (APAC) 41%
- Brazil (LATAM) 17%
- Russia (CIS) 17%
- India (APAC) 14%
- Other 12%
Q: Which of the emerging BRIC economies presents the greatest challenge for your business in the next 5 years ?
- China (APAC) 35%
- Russia (CIS) 26%
- India (APAC) 14%
- Brazil (LATAM) 13%
- Other 13%
Q: What would you say is THE biggest challenge facing the healthcare industry in the next 5 years ?
- Pricing & Reimbursement schemes 35%
- Changing business models 30%
- End of the Blockbuster era 12%
- Patent expiration 12%
- Increasing R&D Productivity 10%
Q: Which product temperature ranges do you ship within your business ?
- +2C - +8C 83%
- +15C - +25C 39%
- +2C - +30C 16%
- -20C or below 14%
- Dry Ice 7%
- Other 5%
Q: What is the primary method of distribution method used for Temperature sensitive products ?
- Air 60%
- Road 35%
- Ocean 4%
- Rail 1%
Q: Currently what percentage of temperature sensitive product shipped is recorded as having an excursion or deviation whilst in the distribution chain ?
- Between 1-5% 27%
- Less than 1% 25%
- Unknown or not recorded 20%
- Between 6-10% 12%
- Above 15% 10%
- Between 11-15% 6%
Q: Which technologies are you currently considering employing to improve your supply chain ?
- High performance passive packaging solutions 45%
- Track & trace technology 38%
- Temperature controlled trucks 17%
- Active containers 13%
- Returnable & reusable packaging solutions 13%
- Temperature controlled ocean containers 8%
- Other 4%
Q: Passive temperature Assurance Packaging between one company and another is pretty much the same, it has become a commodity.
Q: I would be more likely than in the past to adopt new technologies or services from a supplier if it showed that it could reduce my Total Cost of Distribution even if the technology or service was at a higher price point.
Q: Freight forwarding products and services are pretty much the same from all of the major providers and has become a commodity.
Q: Those responsible for making purchasing decisions relating to cold chain products and services are more open to change, if they could see tangible value from doing so.
Q: What are the challenges in deploying multi-use packaging solutions for European or Global distribution ?
- Effective reverse logistics networks 41%
- Asset management and tracking 25%
- Cleaning, reclaim or decontamination standards/ methods to satisfy QA 24%
- Lack of clear Return on Investment models 23%
- High initial capital outlay 14%
- Import / export issues 8%
- Lack of rental or leasing options 7%
Q: When selecting supply chain vendors to work with in your temperature assurance supply chain, what are the most important capabilities you look for ?
- Quality standards 55%
- Price advantage 26%
- Service Excellence 23%
- Innovation 19%
- Global capability 16%
- Specific expertise to support your business 13%
- Other 0%
Q: Where do you see the most innovation taking place in your supply chain specifically related to Temperature Assurance ?
- Temperature monitoring and Evaluation 30%
- Passive Packaging solution provider 28%
- Active solution providers 14%
- 3rd party distribution freight 11%
- 3rd party distribution air 11%
- Other 3%
- 3rd party distribution ocean 2%
Q: As the Healthcare industry focuses on core competencies, and the supply chain dynamics change, where in future are you more likely to look for innovation and influence over your packaging solutions ?
- Logistics Service providers who can provide full turnkey solutions from end to end 59%
- Peers and colleagues within the Cold Chain sector 16%
- Independent consultants outside of your business 12%
- Somewhere else 7%
- IQPC vendors 6%
Q: An official Request for Proposal is the only true method of identifying and analysing the most suitable technology or service provider within the temperature assured supply chain.
Q: An official Request for Proposal focuses on cost only and does not take into consideration the other factors such as service and total cost of ownership in the decision making process.
Q: An official Request for Proposal extends and can complicate the process for defining and choosing alternative solution providers.
Source: IQPC and SCA Cool Logistics (www.sca-cool-logistics.com)
Posted on October 31, 2012
by Edwin Kalischnig filed under